Re: Python, the Universe, and Everything

Ken Manheimer (ken.manheimer@nist.gov)
Thu, 29 Sep 94 14:37:05 EDT

Larry W. Virden writes:
> In article <9409271523.AA03045@coil.nist.gov>,
> Ken Manheimer <ken.manheimer@nist.gov> wrote:
> :
> : http://ftp.cwi.nl/cwi/people/Guido.van.Rossum/Python.html

My mistake - reflex, i'm more used to writing the ftp address than the
www one, and slipped the wrong one in by mistake...

>The task of an educator should be to irrigate the desert not clear the forest.

Nice!

Ken
ken.manheimer@nist.gov, 301 975-3539

[From the net, previously from Utne reader, previously...:

A Zen teacher saw five of his students returning from the market,
riding their bicycles. When they arrived at the monastary and had dis-
mounted, the teacher asked the students, "Why are you riding your bicycles?"

The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying the sack of
potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The
teacher praised the first student, "You are a smart boy! When you grow
old, you will not walk hunched over like I do."

The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields
pass by as I roll down the path!" The teacher commended the second student,
"Your eyes are open, and you see the world."

The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content
to chant nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the third stu-
dent, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel."

The fourth student replied, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony
with all sentient beings." The teacher was pleased, and said to the fourth
student, "You are riding on the golden path of non-harming."

The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my
bicycle." The teacher sat at the feet of the fifth student and said,
"I am your student!"]