Python, the Universe, and Everything

Ken Manheimer (ken.manheimer@nist.gov)
Tue, 27 Sep 94 11:23:17 EDT

Brent Lawson writes:
> Hi I'm a student at East high School and I'm doing a report on Computer
> Programing, Data Entry and Bussiness Programing. If oyu guys could I
> would appriaciate if you would send me some info on Those Subjects. Thanks.

Answering a question like that is almost impossible - it's sort of
like writing to a british car enthusiasts group and asking for info on
Cars, Driving, Interstate Commerce, and the Auto Industry. The
question is much, *much* too general!

That said, however, python may well offer some prime material by which
you can begin to get acquainted with programming. I believe that
python is an extraordinarily good introduction to programming
languages. This is due to the elegance and simplicity of many of its
features, and also because it is a powerful language in its own right,
so you can go the whole range, from simple programming to
sophisticated, using it.

The python tutorial offers an informative overview of the basic
language features, with some teasers about the more advanced features.

Python distribution sites also offer, among other things, a paper done
by a student as part of a college project. The paper concerns the
design and implementation of some refinements of the language. Not
only does the paper introduce you to some of the advanced concepts of
the language, but it reveals some of the steps taken by a student to
become acquainted with and to address some incisive programming
issues. Perhaps you could find some material to investigate within
it.

Another possible lead - the python libraries offer many examples of
classic programming concepts and methods (and, perhaps, some abuses:)
at work. Perhaps you could do a project that presents what's going on
in one of the interesting library examples, and include a working
program that demonstrates these principles at work. I think that
could be pretty cool.

If you can ftp, get a copy of the python FAQ for instructions on
getting the tutorial and the above mentioned paper (thesis-miale.ps).
One of the ftp sources is ftp.cwi.nl, /pub/python/python-FAQ. If you
have access to a web browser, check the python URL:

http://ftp.cwi.nl/cwi/people/Guido.van.Rossum/Python.html

If you don't have access to ftp or the web, send a followup to the
list letting us know, and i'm sure someone can send you the FAQ, and
perhaps identify an email server that can relay the other stuff to
you.

I hope this helps, somehow.

Ken
ken.manheimer@nist.gov, 301 975-3539