Re: Threads?

Ken Manheimer (ken.manheimer@nist.gov)
Tue, 27 Sep 94 11:43:27 EDT

Chet Murthy writes:
> [...]
> Also, has anybody implemented the necessary stuff for RPC servers and
> clients using Python?
> [...]

I've been messing with a package that guido included in the demo stuff
- check (in the python 1.0.3 distribution) 'Demo/rpc'. Check it out -
it's very nifty.

Incidentally, i could use some help from any rpc mavens out there.
I'm working on establishing an rpc connection in python using DES
authentication. I'm able to produce (at the C level) a DES
credential, but i don't know which parts to export to python and then
pack into the rpc packet, in order to get back a DES conversation key.
Anyone out there ever gotten into the guts of DES authentication?

(Normally you would just pass the des credential to the rpc routines,
as the cl_auth component of the CLIENT structure, and the routines
would take care of the rest. I, however, need to export the relevant
portions at the python level, so i can handle the transaction at that
level... Any suggestions, anyone? And, yes, i have read - as best i
could - the relevant RFCs, and the Solaris 2.3 manuals. Not only are
there worrisome discrepancies between the two, but both seem to make
the assumption that you will be letting the rpc routines handle the
credential. Sigh.)

Ken
ken.manheimer@nist.gov, 301 975-3539