Re: Multi-line string extension

Jaap Vermeulen (jaap@sequent.com)
Tue, 26 Apr 94 18:30:10 GMT

In <CoF7sJ.BEn@cwi.nl> guido@cwi.nl (Guido van Rossum) writes:

>Since Python inherits most of its lexical conventions from C anyway, I
>would be most happy with choice number 1. This implies that a
>multi-line string with embedded newlines should be written like this:
>
> print "This is a message\n\
>containing a newline"
>
>instead of
>
> print "This is a message
>containing a newline"
>
>If you want the indentation to line up, you will be able to write
>
> print "This is a message\n" \
> "containing a newline"
>
>Personally, I will continue to write
>
> print "This is a message"
> print "containing a newline"
>
>which most pleases my own sense of esthetics :-)

I would like to format long messages without having to rewrite them all
the time. In other words, the sh feature of having multi-line strings
without any strange characters allows me to run the formatter over it.
Any solution that takes special characters will disable this feature.

$0.02

-Jaap-

--
						| Sequent Computer Systems |