Re: PYTHON VS. PERL VS. TCL

jredford@lehman.com
Wed, 19 Apr 95 17:08:45 -0400

> From: aaron@funcity.njit.edu (Aaron Watters)
> Subject: Re: PYTHON VS. PERL VS. TCL
>
> In article <9504131455.AA10039@seelebrennt.lehman.com> jredford@lehman.com writ
> es:
> >
> >...On the other hand, if you want to write a piece of reliable code,
> >Python is your worst enemy. Python's practice of throwing around
> >namespaces in the interpreted langauge makes it _inheriently_
> >untrustworthy. Tcl restricts this type of game to the extension API,
> >and Perl dosent do it noticably at all....
>
> This could not be more of a mistatement. If you have any sense
> python's namespace scheme is a great advantage in writing reliable
> code. If you are a moron, you can write
> moduleA.classB.methodC = moduleD.instanceE.methodF
> and all hell may break loose, but, again, only a moron would do
> this for anything other than very special purposes.

Oh yeah. The safety of a module isnt at all enhanced by having any
control over what is in it. Its really a predictable and secure
langauge that lets the user redefine every data item and function in
any module at a whim. Its a fucking benefit.

Only morons write bad code.. only morons try to hack into your python
embedding server by mucking with the namespace of modules on the
fly. Or is hacking your system a "very special purpose"?

> That said, I would like to see the ability to "freeze" a namespace
> so a module implementer can make abuses like this absolutely
> impossible (I did an experiment along these lines). Please, when
> you complain publicly about things like this, include an example
> so everyone can see just how obscure your complaint is. -a.

Ah yes... Its such a great thing that he wants to be able to get rid
of it. Aaron, your request can be my example. You're obscure enough.

Just WHAT is the "great advantage" part here, Mr. Provide Examples?

--
John Redford (AKA GArrow) | 3,600 hours of tape.
jredford@lehman.com       | 5 cans of Scotchguard.