Re: Java _is_ quite good [was: "Visual Python"]

brianw@tule.veritas.com
19 Apr 1995 17:59:42 GMT

In article <CONNOLLY.95Apr17000329@www18.cern.ch> connolly@www18.cern.ch (Dan Connolly) writes:
> It's just enough C++ to make that crowd happy. But look under the
> covers, and you'll find a Smalltakish VM. Python should compile
> to the Java VM quite nicely. Or scheme, or python, or Rexx...

As I understand it, Java is declaritive in nature. The assumption
is that classes fix some properties of an object. This just isn't
true in Python, where there are no declarations, and properties
can change on the fly. Thus, to make such a plan work, you would
either have to introduce some Python syntax for wiring down
interfaces and some usage restrictions or find some way to make
the Java VM appear more dynamic.

Not to disregard the idea too much, but why is this interesting to
people? If python is too slow, as one poster said, why address that
issue directly?

-brian
brianw@veritas.com