Re: True Inheritable Classes In C (was Generic Interface)

jahlstr@ibm.net
13 Mar 1995 23:19:39 GMT

In <1995Mar9.085519.12246@hermes.bouw.tno.nl>, sst@bouw.tno.nl (Tako Schotanus) writes:

>I don't know about the original poster but I sure would like to see
>your code! Especially because your explanation isn't all clear to me.
>Having a not to difficult way to incorporate a C++ class hierarchy
>into Python is a must for me! :)

Sorry for the delay. My news feed has indigestion. If you reply by e-mail,
please use jim@interet.com, not the address above.

After "inventing" the inheritance method, I was surprised to find a reference
by Guido on the same subject. Please see:
http://www.eeel.nist.gov:80/python/workshop11-94/C++Python.txt
and skip half way down to "Adding virtual functions" for a better explanation
of the method. Meanwhile I am working on sample code which I will put into
ftp.interet.com as soon as I can.

You should also be aware that Mark Hammond and Harri Tekla are also active
in this area. Mark is working on an NT-MFC port, and Harri has a wxwindows
port of Python that is really nice. Python is starting to suffer from an
"embarrasement of riches" when it comes to GUI development.

Jim Ahlstrom jim@interet.com