Re: Help compiling python

Fred Appelman (fred@wodan.cv.ruu.nl)
13 Mar 1995 21:41:31 +0100

In <3k26pv$eqe@ucthpx.uct.ac.za> mcollett@cs.uct.ac.za (Morgan Collett) writes:

>Dear Sirs,
>
>We are experiencing some difficulty compiling
>the good ship Python 1.1.1 on our little NCR svr4
>multi-486 box.
>
>Don't ask me what it is because I don't know,
>but ./configure doesn't complain in the slightest.
>
>Symptom:
>
>Having run ./configure we dutifully run make......
>
>Everything seems to proceed normally until, while
>in the Modules subdirectory, it starts screaming about:
>
>Undefined first referenced
>symbol in file
>accept libModules.a(socketmodule.o)
>recv "
>socket " etc.
>send
>connect
>listen

I experienced the same problems on the Unixware platform.
It turns out (if I remember correctly) that -lsocket is
linked in but -lnsl is not. So look in the produced Makefile
for -lsocket and add "-lnsl" and you should be in business.

Fred

--
Fred J.R. Appelman, 3D Computer Vision, Utrecht University
AZU, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands.