Re: PROPOSAL: A Generic Python Object Interface for Python C Modules

Jack Jansen (Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl)
Wed, 1 Mar 1995 13:21:56 GMT

mlutz@KaPRE.COM (Mark Lutz) writes:

>But seriously. I've been working with embedding and extending alot
>lately, and here's my take: the less a user of embedding/extensions
>has to know about the Python's implementation code, the better.

I think we have all the machinery for making extending python an easy
job. Guido's bgen stuff (Guido, did you advertise that yet?) takes
rather simple interface definitions as input and generates modules
automatically for simple routines (and with a little hand-holding
it'll also do complicated things like callback routines from C to
python). The novice user would only have to write a set of C routines
and explain the interfaces to bgen...

And there's my *>MODULATOR<* stuff, of course, that takes a slightly
different approach by giving the user complete boilerplates. But then
they *do* have to know the internals of the python implementation,
since they'll be on their own for arg parsing, etc.

Jack Jansen        | If I can't dance I don't want to be part of
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl | your revolution             -- Emma Goldman
uunet!cwi.nl!jack    G=Jack;S=Jansen;O=cwi;PRMD=surf;ADMD=400net;C=nl