Re: Trondheim Hammer Dance?

Steven D. Majewski (sdm7g@virginia.edu)
Tue, 10 Jan 1995 11:45:43 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 10 Jan 1995 Guido.van.Rossum@cwi.nl wrote:

> > Could some kind soul tell me why these dutch people are so focused on
> > this Trondheim Hammer Dance thing? I would very much like to know, I
> > happen to live there. :-)
> >
> > - Stig, who didn't ask when he saw it three years ago, but had to
> > when he read the Python tutorial's section 5.5.
>
> It's not a Dutch Thing. It's a Steve Majewski or Tim Peters Thing.
>
> One of them once sent me a large sets of patches to the tutorial,
> mostly intended to clean up minor typos or grammatical errors, or to
> clarify possible misunderstandings. As part of the patch, they
> smuggled a reference to the Trondheim Hammer Dance into an example.
> When I asked them about it, they just smiled and said they liked to
> see references to it in as many language tutorials as they could.
>
> Wondering-whether-the-Trondheim-Hammer-Dance-exists-at-all-ly yours,

I claim complete innocence and ignorance! It must have been Tim.
I wouldn't know a Trondheim Hammer if it fell on my foot!

( Talk about "Digression of the Month" ! ;-)

The bit about trying to smuggle it into as many tutorials as possible
certainly *sounds* like a Timism.

*I'm* the one who is convinced that the Seven Years War was a Dutch
plot. The fact that they were one of the few european powers who
didn't actually fight in that war only fuels my suspicions!

( They were clearly too clever to do the fighting themselves. :-)

---| Steven D. Majewski (804-982-0831) <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU> |---
---| Computer Systems Engineer University of Virginia |---
---| Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics |---
---| Box 449 Health Science Center Charlottesville,VA 22908 |---
[ The NSF no longer monitors this traffic. They got bored and went
home. BUT if you include a reference to Kibo or Larry Wall, it
might attract *their* "robots". ]