Re: Python binary versions

Steven D. Majewski (sdm7g@virginia.edu)
Fri, 30 Sep 1994 12:38:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 30 Sep 1994, Steve Clift wrote:

> Very. I built Python 1.0.3 on QNX 4.21 using the most recent compiler
> update. Although it seems to configure and compile OK, it runs in a
> rather demented fashion and flakes out early into the tests. It seems
> to be getting the different internal object types confused. Something
> to do with the Watcom compiler I suspect. I don't have the time at the
> moment to figure out why. Looks like I'll have to stick with Tcl
> (ouch! :-)).

Did you try gcc ? ( Do you *have* gcc ? )
I don't know QNX, but when I've run into mysterious portability problems
on AIX, the fix has often been to use gcc to compile one or more (or all)
modules.

[ I don't currently have a problem with compiling Python, but I still
have a major problem with refdbms using the Spencer regexp package.
It all compiles fine, but just doesn't work correctly. Sometimes,
when I've managed to track down these types of problems, it often
has to do with different semantics to things like "static extern", etc. ]

Re: the general idea of binary distribution:

Guido has always been very responsive about keeping the install and
build working smoothly and portably so it will build right out of the
box. The problem has usually been with the extensions. I was considering
distributing an AIX binary, but I never got around to successfully
building it with all of the extensions that I thought *ought* to be
included. I don't think there is a *major* problem with this: it's just
a matter of time, and that the target list keeps changing: ( Now I have
to add the tkmodule, etc. ).

But, it's a good idea anyway. We should just keep a list of the
features/modules supported in each binary, and try to avoid anoying
people when they discover that import XXX doesn't work on the NT or
AIX or whatever binary.

The better alternative for systems supporting dynamic loading is to
distribute it as the main program and loadable libraries. Incremental
change and additions are easier that way. That's what I planned to
do with the AIX version ... but then that required smoothing out some
of the import/export tricks with Python on AIX. ( For that to work,
I need to build the main program so that it EXPORTS all the symbols
that other modules may need resolved. I just haven't got around to
building that list. )

-- Steve Majewski (804-982-0831) <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU> --
-- UVA Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics --
-- Box 449 Health Science Center Charlottesville,VA 22908 --