Re: writing publicly distributed codes in python

Ron Forrester (rjf@aurora.pcg.com)
Tue, 27 Sep 1994 15:05:36 -0700

On Mon, 26 Sep 94 03:55:16 GMT, "Barry Merriman" <barry@arnold.math.ucla.edu> wrote:

> Python looks like an interesting language, but: I'm trying to write some code
> that I can distribute publicly, and I'm wondering if python
> is too esoteric for this? In particular, how does one
> handle the problem that most cites probably don't have python
> installed?

For Windows NT, the core of python has been placed into a dynamic link
library (DLL), thanks to the work of Mark Hammond.

I have been toying with the idea of writing a program which will bind a
python script (and imports) to an stub executable. This stub executable,
when run, will do whats necessary to pass the script through the
aformentioned DLL. This way, all one needs to run the script is the bound
executable and the python DLL.

I have not seen this done yet, so I guess for now you are out of luck...

rjf

--
| "I don't like being bluffed -- makes me doubt     |    rjf@aurora.pcg.com |
| my perception of reality..."                      |            71722,3175 |