Re: python wrapper for tk toolkit

Steven D. Majewski (sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu)
Wed, 18 May 1994 11:40:11 -0400

On May 18, 7:30, "Eric L. Beser" wrote:

> With all the talk about tkperl and an interface to tk. It seems
> like a perl to python translator would be far more practical
> considering all the hundreds of k worth of perl code that has been
> written.
>
> tkperl would then be tkpython as would everything else written in
> python. Such a translator would be a good model for other translators.

A Perl to Python translator would be a non-trivial exercise, however a
tcl to Python translator ( since tcl is a much simpler language )
would be MUCH easier, and even better would be a tcl compiler
( written in Python, of course ) than compiled tcl expressions
into Python .pyc code objects.

I have mentioned the possibility of compiling tcl into pycode before but:
(1) I didn't have much spare time to pursue it
(2) translateing the base tcl still doesn't get you the extensions
like Tk, that are not written IN tcl - and since tcl is more of
a glue language where a lot of work is done by those extensions,
I wasn't sure it was worth the effort.

- Steve Majewski (804-982-0831) <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>
- UVA Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics
["Premature optimization is the root of all evil." - D.Knuth ]