Re: various re-import errors

Jim Roskind (jar@infoseek.com)
Wed, 13 Apr 1994 10:58:33 +0800

> From: Guido.van.Rossum@cwi.nl
> Date: Wed, 13 Apr 1994 15:20:59 +0200
> Sender: python-list-request@cwi.nl

> (1)
> import foo # where foo is a dynamically loaded module
> reload(foo)

> In Python version 1.0.1++ (to be released as 1.0.2) I've added the
> following checks:
>
> - Calling reload() for dynamically loaded modules (case 1) is
> forbidden and raises an ImportError

I am unclear on the meaning of a "dynamically loaded module." I
regularly start up a python interactive session, and reload a module
time and again as I debug it. Is this an example of a "dynamically
loaded module" that you will disallow? I was not clear as to what a
"non-dynamically loaded module" would be, and hence I didn't know what
the reload() function would be used for. Could you clarify this
distinction.

Jim

Jim Roskind
408-982-4469