optimization ( was: Unique string storage )

Steven D. Majewski (sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu)
Wed, 6 Apr 1994 12:48:27 -0400

On Apr 5, 10:40, Mark Lutz wrote:

> If you made class attribute access fast enough, I'd be satisfied
> with implementing symbols as a Python-coded class.

Yes - a lot of discussion in this and other threads seems to want to
build things into builtin to avoid classes. Therefore, I would think
that one of the most productive optimizations we could do for Python
would be to find a way to make classes ( AND functions, AND attribute
lookup ... ) faster.

[ No remarkable ideas at present on this. I'm looking, but I think
there are some more adept compiler hackers on this list than I. ]

- Steve Majewski (804-982-0831) <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>
- UVA Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics