Re: RESULT: comp.lang.python passes 241:27

Bennett Todd (bet@std.sbi.com)
Fri, 25 Mar 1994 14:59:14 -0500 (EST)

> But here's the REAL $10K question: what happens to the python
>mailing list after the newsgroup gets going?

I've got a pretty good idea. A sequence something like the following:

1. All postings to python-list start getting automagically
forwarded into the newsgroup.

2. As traffic builds up in the newsgroup and drops in the mailing
list, folks cancel their mailing list subscriptions.

3. When the propogation of the newsgroups seems to cover just about
all the readership of the mailing list, a final message is sent
out to the list saying ``the mailing list is being disbanded. If
this is unacceptable to you, post a note to the list volunteering
to take over maintenance of it, in the next N days.''

Our netnews newgroup reception is really horribly spotty, here. Like, we
didn't start getting comp.os.linux.announce for _months_ after the newsgroup
was formed.

So, when someone sees the newsgroup arrive on their system, could you please
post a note to the list, so we'll all know it should be arriving presently?

-Bennett
bet@sbi.com