Re: Python media alert! - Open Systems Today

Steven D. Majewski (sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu)
Thu, 10 Mar 1994 16:49:20 -0500

On Mar 10, 14:30, Robin Friedrich wrote:

> I called them this morning and they are sending me their propoganda.
> Has anyone had any experience with this product? We here at NASA-JSC
> are looking for a good interpreted language in which to create GUIs
> for the trajectory engineers here. I've played with python for a couple
> months now and am suitably impressed. I'm really looking for an
> interactive GUI builder which generates python-Motif code. If the above
> product is that product great, otherwise we'll have to write one
> ourselves.

Have you looked at SUIT. Simple User Interface Toolkit - delevoped here
at the University of Virginia. ( Well, not *right* *HERE* -- at the UVA CS
dept., I mean! Despite being at UVA, I have only recently discovered
this package. )

I have tried the suit unix demo.
I haven't yet managed to build python with the SUIT interface.
( I got distracted by trying to get the dynamic loading for AIX
working before I tackled that. )
I have since notices a note that says that that extension module
is not yet finished. Who was working on it? Can we have a status
report ?

If you want to see what SUIT by itself will do ( without Python )
binary demo's are available in uvacs.cs.virginia.edu:/pub/suit/demo

ftp> dir demo
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
total 9
drwxr-xr-x 2 149 other 512 Jan 3 1993 dec
drwxr-xr-x 2 149 other 512 Dec 28 1992 dos
drwxr-xr-x 2 149 other 512 Sep 18 1992 mac
drwxr-xr-x 2 149 other 512 Sep 4 1992 nintendo
drwxr-xr-x 2 149 other 512 Dec 28 1992 rs6000
drwxr-xr-x 2 149 other 512 Dec 28 1992 sgi
drwxr-xr-x 2 149 other 512 Feb 7 1993 sparc
drwxr-xr-x 2 149 other 512 Dec 27 1992 sun3
drwxr-xr-x 2 149 other 512 Jun 2 1993 windows_3.1
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> 221 Goodbye.

There should be a PostScript tutorial file to accompany the demo.

- Steve Majewski (804-982-0831) <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>
- UVA Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics