Re: Python media alert! - Open Systems Today

Robin Friedrich (friedric@rose.rsoc.rockwell.com)
Thu, 10 Mar 94 14:30:23 CST

> From: "Steven D. Majewski" <sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu>
> FYI:
>
> March 7, 1994 issue of Open Systems Today has an article (p40):
>
> GUI DEVELOPMENT
> Sunrise's EzOOP Speeds Graphical App Prototyping
> by Frank Hayes
>
> Which describes a commercial GUI prototyping system
> from Sunrise Software International based on the
> Python interpreter. ( It also mentions Cabletron's
> Spectrum Network Manager Module. )
>

> - Steve Majewski (804-982-0831) <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>
> - UVA Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics

I called them this morning and they are sending me their propoganda.
Has anyone had any experience with this product? We here at NASA-JSC
are looking for a good interpreted language in which to create GUIs
for the trajectory engineers here. I've played with python for a couple
months now and am suitably impressed. I'm really looking for an
interactive GUI builder which generates python-Motif code. If the above
product is that product great, otherwise we'll have to write one
ourselves.

I'm sorry. Let me introduce myself... My name is Robin Friedrich and
I'm the systems manager for the ROSE Project (Reuseable Objects
Software Environment) and we are embarking on a four year project to
reengineer the software used for shuttle trajectory design as well as
some analytical simulations used by the real time mission controllers
(both shuttle and Space Station). We are writing the core simulations
with C++ but I'm interested in implimenting an easy to use engineering
shell through which the user can access them. We will have hundreds of
users and I think python would be a great thing to build it upon. In
the past we have developed a nice little GUI system with it's own
simple language to keep our poor users from having to write/understand
C/Motif/X syntax. It proved very useful and I would like to do something
like that again except in a object oriented manner.
Guido's Motif bindings are a start. A more robust set of Motif classes
would be great (not to mention a graphical workbench to draw interfaces
and generate the python code)!
Python looks like a good glue language to bind our system together.
Comments...suggestions...info...opinions...
I'm all ears ..er.. eyes.

Robin (reuse-or-else) Friedrich
ROSE Project
Rockwell Space Operations Co.