Re: Python 1.0 & gnu readline

lance@markv.com
Thu, 3 Feb 94 10:02:04 PST

> From charon.cwi.nl!cwi.nl!python-list-request Thu Feb 3 09:50:38 1994
> Date: Thu, 3 Feb 1994 12:38:58 -0500
> From: "Steven D. Majewski" <sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu>
> Cc: python-list@cwi.nl
> Sender: python-list-request@cwi.nl
>
> On Feb 3, 9:13, lance@markv.com wrote:
> >
> > I had very minimal problems building the X11/Xt/Motif extensions!
> > I had to redefine the LIBS sections in the Makefile.in, copy the Makefile.in
> > into Makefile (in each directory), go into the X11/Build directory,
> > run 'make regen TOP=<dir>' then edit the Makefile and add '-I$(TOP)'
> > to the CFLAGS line. That's it.. I have even packaged up my interface
> > to the MetalBase database into an Extensions directory and it will
> > be on my FTP server as soon as I can get that working again! The Extensions
> > directories are very easy to work with and use!
> >
> > Great work Guido!
> >

> *I* seem to be having some troubles with the extensions -
> I must be misunderstanding something in the instructions:
>

> I edited TOP in Extensions/suit/Makefile.in
> I made a /usr/local/src/python/build-suit directory, and from
> that directory I did:
>
> ../Extensions/mkext.py /usr/local/src/python /usr/local/src/python/Extensions/suit
>
> and I get:
>
> Parsing /usr/local/src/python/Modules/Makefile ...
> Parsing /usr/local/src/python/Extensions/suit/Makefile ...
> Traceback (innermost last):
> File "../Extensions/mkext.py", line 229
> main()
> File "../Extensions/mkext.py", line 59
> vars = parsemakefile(extdir)
> File "../Extensions/mkext.py", line 84
> fp = open(filename, 'r')
> IOError: (2, 'No such file or directory')
>

> And, there is, in fact, no Makefile in that directory yet,
> just a Makefile.in. I must clearly be missing a step.
> Do I have to do a "./config --with-extension" first ?
>
> What obvious step am I missing here ?

This is a problem I have seen also.. I just coppied the
Makefile.in into Makefile and then ran the mkext.py file.
This will build the Makefile in the build directory. You will then
need to edit the Makefile and add '-I$(TOP)' to the CFLAGS line
in the newly created Makefile

That should work...

--

Lance Ellinghouse lance@markv.com UNIX Systems Support support@markv.com Mark V Systems Limited Voice: +1 818 995 7671 FAX: +1 818 995 4267