Re: Python 1.0 & gnu readline

Steven D. Majewski (sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu)
Thu, 3 Feb 1994 12:38:58 -0500

On Feb 3, 9:13, lance@markv.com wrote:

> I had very minimal problems building the X11/Xt/Motif extensions!
> I had to redefine the LIBS sections in the Makefile.in, copy the Makefile.in
> into Makefile (in each directory), go into the X11/Build directory,
> run 'make regen TOP=<dir>' then edit the Makefile and add '-I$(TOP)'
> to the CFLAGS line. That's it.. I have even packaged up my interface
> to the MetalBase database into an Extensions directory and it will
> be on my FTP server as soon as I can get that working again! The Extensions
> directories are very easy to work with and use!
>
> Great work Guido!

*I* seem to be having some troubles with the extensions -
I must be misunderstanding something in the instructions:

I edited TOP in Extensions/suit/Makefile.in
I made a /usr/local/src/python/build-suit directory, and from
that directory I did:

../Extensions/mkext.py /usr/local/src/python /usr/local/src/python/Extensions/suit

and I get:

Parsing /usr/local/src/python/Modules/Makefile ...
Parsing /usr/local/src/python/Extensions/suit/Makefile ...
Traceback (innermost last):
File "../Extensions/mkext.py", line 229
main()
File "../Extensions/mkext.py", line 59
vars = parsemakefile(extdir)
File "../Extensions/mkext.py", line 84
fp = open(filename, 'r')
IOError: (2, 'No such file or directory')

And, there is, in fact, no Makefile in that directory yet,
just a Makefile.in. I must clearly be missing a step.
Do I have to do a "./config --with-extension" first ?

What obvious step am I missing here ?

- Steve Majewski (804-982-0831) <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>
- UVA Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics