Re: Dynamically loadable modules (and Doc/ext.tex) work BEAUTIFULLY!

Bennett Todd (bet@std.sbi.com)
Fri, 14 Jan 1994 10:13:00 -0500 (EST)

Jack Jansen writes:
>You're right. The paragraph should say on *some* systems #! scripts
>can't use dynamic loading. (The SGI Irix 4 dynamic loader
>needed the pathname of the python binary to do dynamic loading).

For such systems, I think it'd be a kindness to include, perhaps in the
build procedure, a provision for hardwiring in the path to the executable.
For instance, you could have code that goes something like

exepath = isexec($argv[0]) ? $argv[0] : EXEPATH;

with maybe the Makefile going -DEXEPATH=$(DESTDIR)/bin/python.

Or maybe it should come from the environment, and /usr/local/bin/python
could be a wrapper script that sets up the needed environment variable.

-Bennett
bet@sbi.com