Re: Python 1.2 on NeXTSTEP

Hadar Pedhazur (ubs!hadar@uunet.uu.net)
21 Apr 1995 13:31:10 GMT

In article <3n72us$oiq@uuneo.neosoft.com> ghost@ghost.neosoft.com (Mark C. Allman) writes:

From: ghost@ghost.neosoft.com (Mark C. Allman)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
Date: 21 Apr 1995 01:49:16 GMT

In article <HADAR.95Apr19084301@uunet.uu.net> ubs!hadar@uunet.uu.net (Hadar
Pedhazur) writes:
> [Stuff about NEXTSTEP posix etc., deleted]
>
> I have successfully build Python on NS3.3 Developer (acutally the GAMMA
> release of 3.3) for both HP and Motorola (fat). It compiles cleanly with
> the exception of one warning (which unfortunately I do not recall!).
>
> It does use the -posix flag as I did not change any of the configuration
> parameters except for adding the -arch flags and also changing the ar command
> to libtool to make fat libs!
>
> Here is the result of listdir:
>
> amazon 16 /tmp: python
> Python 1.2 (Tue Apr 11 1995) [GCC NeXT DevKit-based CPP 3.1]
> Copyright 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam
> ['.', '..', 'port.prices', 'console.log', 'hadar', '.X11-unix', 'OmniWeb',
'O_CollagistPro_v']

> If you need a built version emailed to you please email and I will build you
> one and send it ...

Question: did you use gcc (as in the original post) or NeXT's cc
(which is their version of gcc ;-) )? A common thread I've seen
lately on several groups is build problems using gcc.

-- Mark Allman
-- Grad. student, Physics, Univ. of Houston
-- ghost@ghost.neosoft.com

I always use NeXT's cc because one can not even build a valid gcc (other than
NeXT's!) on an HP NS machine. You can build gcc on a NeXT but not an HP ...

Yesterday someone posted that it works for them but I have not gotten to test
what they posted. The only difference between what they posted and what I did
was that they were using spam.o and I was using spammodule.o.

My original basic question was: "When building Python for the NeXT, do I need
to do anything in configure to enable the dynamic stuff, or does it *just
happen*?"

--
Hadar Pedhazur
Global Equity Derivatives