Re: JavaVM compiler for Python?

Jim Fulton (jfulton@dsjfqvarsa.er.usgs.GOV)
Thu, 20 Apr 1995 14:20:33 GMT

In article <3muu83$5oh@spud.Hyperion.COM> koreth@spud.Hyperion.COM (Steven Grimm) writes:

(snip)

> The sluggish nature of the interpreter, especially the long startup time,
> is the main thing that's keeping me from doing most of my serious application
> programming in Python.

I'm curious about this, since I don't observe this myself. Are you
talking about the time to start python itself? Or are you talking
about the time to load a set of standard modules.

Also, what do you mean by a long sluggish start-up time? How long are
you talking about?

On my system, I have used dynamic linking to the fullest extent
possible to limit the size of the Python executable. Most of the
standard built-in modules are dynamically linked, as are the X11/Motif
modules. If I had not done this, It would have taken quite a bit
longer.

--
-- Jim Fulton      jfulton@mailqvarsa.er.usgs.gov    (703) 648-5622
                   U.S. Geological Survey, Reston VA  22092