Re: Python 1.2 released

Ken Manheimer (klm@NIST.GOV)
Tue, 18 Apr 1995 10:58:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 14 Apr 1995, 'Dr. GECOS' Donn Cave wrote:

> gordo@auntie.bbcnc.org.uk (Gordon Joly) writes:
> | Under SunOS 4.1.3, with gcc version 2.4.5, I get this error.
> | gcc -O -I./../Include -I.. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c ./posixmodule.c
> | ./posixmodule.c: In function `posix_mkdir':
> | ./posixmodule.c:461: `mkdir' undeclared (first use this function)
>[...]
> I don't have any SunOS 4.1.3 on which to check this, but I bet unistd.h
>[...]
> Unless there's some reason why the vendor's C compiler is not able to do
> what you want, maybe you should avoid gcc.

I compile python (including 1.2) under SunOS 4.1.3 using gcc 2.5.8 with no
problem. I prefer, in general, to use gcc when i can, and wanted to let
people know that it is *not* by any means prohibited here. Perhaps there
was a problem with 2.4.5, but that looks like a signifcantly older
version.

Btw, the 1.2 compile was smooth and ridiculously simple.

ken
ken.manheimer@nist.gov, 301 975-3539