Questions about basic design of the language

Russell E. Owen (owen@astro.washington.edu)
Mon, 17 Apr 1995 12:30:22 -0700

I've just started learning Python, and had some questions about possible
design issues -- whether or not they are flaws, and if flaws, how serious:

jredford@lehman.com wrote (in the ongoing language comparison):
> ...Python's practice of throwing around
> namespaces in the interpreted langauge makes it _inheriently_
> untrustworthy. Tcl restricts this type of game to the extension API,
> and Perl dosent do it noticably at all.

This was bothering me, too, as I worked through the excellent tutorial. It
looks like a potentially nasty source of errors. What do Python mavens
think? Is it a problem?

Also...I was also wondering about this business of "methods" having the
same syntax as "functions" but with an extra beginning argument for self.
Naively, I'd much rather have an argument list that matched what I was
explicitly sending, and have "self" be a reserved word that doesn't need
to be passed. Is it something you just get used to? Is it a feature? It
looks like it might be a constant background annoyance both while calling
methods and while converting code from functions to methods.

I have no wish to start a flame war. On the whole I am very impressed with
Python. It has a simple, elegant syntax (and I'm an elegance freak), and
generally seems well-designed, easy and pleasant to use, and well worth
the minimal learning effort.

Finally...if anyone knows of apple event support for Mac Python, please,
please tell me. I want a small easy CGI language for Macintosh.
AppleScript is dead slow (and has other problems), and the only
alternative I can find is MacPerl (not terrible, but clearly not as
pleasant as Python).

E-mail copies of any replies would be much appreciated. I won't be able to
read news for 2 weeks.

Regards,

-- Russell