Re: WARNING - Python 1.2 and Linux

George M. Sipe (gsipe@rebel.atl.ga.us)
16 Apr 1995 14:56:43 GMT

In article <3mqkmg$8gq@poplar.cs.scarolina.edu>,
James LewisMoss <moss@usceast.cs.scarolina.edu> wrote:
>gsipe@rebel.atl.ga.us (George M. Sipe) writes:
>
>>bash 1.14.3, but you would have the same problem on any version of
>>Linux running bash 1.14.3.
>
>or you could recompile with the bash bug fixed. I'm betting it is the
>"bash -c "exit 2"" returns 127 no matter what bug. Here's the fix.

I wouldn't bet on it. It is unlikely the patch you supplied for the
exit status problem will allow makesetup to complete correctly.

As best I can recall (from when I brought up Python 1.1.1 under bash
1.14.3) the bug had to do with multi-line strings together with the
built-in echo. Behavior was better when /bin/echo was substituted
but still not 100% correct.

None-the-less, the point of my post was to warn people of the
consequences of using 'ash' as 'sh' as suggested in the README file.
To reiterate for those who missed the original posting, Linux 1.2.x
/etc/rc.d/rc.S will not be able to remount the root as read/write
when sh points to ash. See my original posting for details.

--
George M. Sipe - gsipe@mindspring.com     Phone or FAX: (404) 447-4731