Re: Problems running Tkinter in Linux

Jo (jvs@netcom.com)
Wed, 12 Apr 1995 19:12:52 GMT

In article <3mh64k$6io@cantaloupe.srv.cs.cmu.edu>,
David Redish <dredish+@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

>I have made some progress accessing Tk (3.6) from
>Python (1.2) on my Linux box, but I'm still stuck.
>I have rebuilt X using the latest version I could
>find (XFree 3.1.1: R6) and I can now get Tk from
>TCL (7.3) just fine. But when I run python and try
>to access Tk, I get a seg fault. It seems
>to be happening deep in the stack, so I guess
>something is not set up right between Python and Tk.
>
>Anyone seen this before?
>
>Thanx
>David Redish
>
>>--------------------------------
>>from Tkinter import *
>>fred = Button()

I've had no problems with building Python 1.2 under Linux (slackware 2.1,
kernel 1.2.3). I just enabled the tkinter module in Setup and modified the
include path and it works just fine (at least the electrons.py script
worked as expected).

I had to hack the cursesmodule.c to implement echochar() & wechochar() in terms
of addch() waddch(), refresh() & wrefresh() and made the intrflush() a noop.
Of course, all suitably wrapped up in #ifdef __linux__ / #endif statements.
This is because ncurses doesn't implement them.

Other than that it all seems to work like a charm, good work Guido & Co.!

Cheers,
Jo

--
Jo Stockley