Re: Opinions? Tcl Python Perl, Virtues/failings

Aaron Watters (aaron@funcity.njit.edu)
Tue, 11 Apr 1995 16:49:12 GMT

In article <1995Apr1.084937.20336@netlabs.com> lwall@netlabs.com (Larry Wall) writes:

>Well now. I happen to see every reference to Perl that goes by on
>Usenet, and apart from the occasion slam-dunk quote from non-users
>about rot13 or uuencode, this "renowned difficulty" is simply not so
>renowned as all that....

How'd you like that gif of Perl Bottoms and her Donkey friend in
alt.sex.bestiality? Yes, it's a rich and varied world. By the way,
out of disasterously misplaced curiosity I ran the uuencoded version
of the image through Perl and it reformatted my directory hierarchy to
PostScript and mailed it to tchrist. That was embarrassing, I can
tell you.

>....I don't think I've seen anyone complain that
>they couldn't come back and read their own code... And I've never
>heard anyone *not* complain about working on someone else's code. :-)....

Well, let this be a first. I've subclassed and modified lots of
other-written Python code and I'm not complaining, well not much
anyway :). I also complain about decoding my own code, of all
flavors, muttering under my breath, on a regular basis, but I try not
to do it in the presence of legendary master programmers, especially
ones who've written tools I use all the time, or in newsposts. -a.
====

For fun, try out microsoft's www server www.microsoft.com.
Reminds me of my first experiences with MS-Dos... ``??You've
got to be kidding?!?''