Re: Curses module - got it working?

lance@fox.com
Thu, 30 Mar 95 10:05:53 PST

> From: Guido.van.Rossum@cwi.nl
> Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 16:34:01 +0200
>
> > I'm trying to compile the curses module, and I'm having problems on my
> > Linux box. If I try to use the regular curses library and include files,
> > I get several screens of errors.
>
> Yes -- the curses module was meant to be used with the ncurses
> library, but it seemed silly to call it "ncurses" when there was never
> a previous "curses" for Python.

Actually this is not true. The curses module that I created was
written to work with AT&T curses. People have gotten it to work with
ncurses.

> > If I use ncurses instead, all is fine until the final linking; I then
> > get errors that 'wechochar' and 'intrflush' are 'undefined references.'
> > (And sure enough, if I check the man pages, I find excellent documentation
> > on those two functions, as well as a footnote that says "these haven't
> > been implemented yet.")
>
> I suggest a simple solution: comment the references to these two
> functions out of the cursesmodule.c file. (I bet the only uses for
> them are in wrapper functions.)

This should work. Both of these do not really need to be used.
Ncurses might have a function that will do the same as wechochar().

--
Lance Ellinghaus                lance@fox.com
PGP 2.6 Key fingerprint =  94 A0 AA 66 2E 6D B1 DC  63 C6 FD F0 C1 66 1C 61