Re: Internet search engine

Harald Scheirich (scheirich@cg.tuwien.ac.at)
29 Mar 1995 09:26:35 GMT

In article <9503271301.AA15424@hchworth.demon.co.uk> Matthew Jones,
matj@hchworth.demon.co.uk writes:
> db = Dbhash("test_dbhash", 'r', 0600,1024,32)
>
>none of the generated HTML is returned after this point. If I run the
>script at the shell promt it works and the generated HTML is legal.

If you are using the CERN server what might have happened is this:

Your script was not run in the directory is standing in, where all your
files are i.e.
alos test_dbhash but within the SERVER ROOT directory, so when you tried
to access
the test_dbhash file it couldn!t be found within the current directory
(SERVER ROOT)
the program raised an exception and quit. The server (CERN) already had
some data from the script an had sent that to the client.

If you are working with CERN you will also find out that there is no log
entry for that error (if you do find a log entry, PLEASE send me your
configuration file :). I have not found a way to make the CERN server log
python errors !
BTW a feasible method of looking at script errors is to redirect stderr
to stdout at the top of the script.

As a solution I propose to try out using the absolute path name of the
file test_dbhash
or !cd! into that directory (I know those are both BAD workarounds but
...)

I wrote to the people working on the CERN server about this problem
(script running in SEVERROOT) and they told me that there is nothing I
can do.

PS: We use the CERN server but I privately fire up the NCSA for debugging
scripts it is much better in writing the log file (you have to take out
the redirection for that
though :)

Hope this helps, Harald
----
Harald Scheirich University of Technology
Vienna
email: scheirich@cg.tuwien.ac.at Institute for Computer Graphics
smail: Karlsplatz 13-186/2 1040 Vienna AUSTRIA
FAX: +43(1)5874932 TEL: +43(1)58801-4586
WWW: http:/www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/~scheich
----