Re: executable python scripts

Jim Holmes (holmes@Xerox.EuroPARC.com)
23 Mar 1995 19:21:08 GMT

Guido.van.Rossum@cwi.nl wrote:

> > I am running python 1.1.1 under SunOS (soon to be Solaris)
> [...]
> > I then made the following file (called fred),
> >
> > #!/data/maths/graham/APP/PYTHON/bin/python
> > print "a"
> >
> > Now when I run fred by doing say "./fred", I get the message
> > "./fred: Permission denied.".
>
> Some OS'es have a limit of 32 bytes on the pathname used here. Try a
> shorter path... (It may be a symbolic link I think.)

Sorry if this has been suggested but I missed the original post.
Maybe you need to change the file permissions with "chmod +x fred".
This makes the file executable. Otherwise it is just a text file.
You can then just type "fred" to run the script (or find some other
problem).

Jim Holmes -- Holmes@Xerox.EuroPARC.Com