Re: PROPOSAL: A Generic Python Object Interface for Python C Modules

Jim Fulton (jfulton@qvarsx.er.usgs.GOV)
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 20:28:21 GMT

In article <1995Mar6.150740.22680@njitgw.njit.edu> aaron@funcity.njit.edu (Aaron Watters) writes:

> I think (PyObject *) should be replaced everywhere with PyObjRef
> and all direct accesses to the object structure should be replaced with C
> macros.

With regard to the subject proposal, PyObject pointers are opaque. In
fact, one of the main reasons for the proposed interface is to keep
object-pointers opaque by hiding the details of the type stucture
behind access functions. Without the proposed interface, you need to
understand and use the Python type stucture to access objects
generically.

I could (and plan/hope to) develop a look alike abstract object
interface for GNU Smalltalk that will allow me to share module code
between Smalltalk and Python, where PyObject pointers will, when used
with Smalltalk, point to Smalltalk, rather than Python objects.

--
-- Jim Fulton      jfulton@mailqvarsa.er.usgs.gov    (703) 648-5622
                   U.S. Geological Survey, Reston VA  22092