Re: Tk and huge executables

Dianne Hackborn (hackbod@python.CS.ORST.EDU)
Wed, 8 Feb 1995 03:10:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 7 Feb 1995 Guido.van.Rossum@cwi.nl wrote:

> I don't know anything about HP systems, but I suspect that the X
> libraries are also statically linked. How big is Tk's "wish" binary?
> (Also consider stripping the binary -- see strip(1). If any kind of
> symbol table is left in it usually takes up a lot of space...)

Actually, the X libraries on HPs can be dynamically linked -- the stdwin
module built as a shared library just fine. But at any rate, it was
debugging information in the executable; strip brought it back down to a
reasonable size.

Thanks very much for your help!

Dianne Kyra Hackborn "No change in musical style will survive unless
hackbod@mail.cs.orst.edu it is accompanied by a change in clothing style."
Oregon State University
//www.cs.orst.edu/~hackbod/ -- Frank Zappa