Re: Jim Fulton : Extensible compound statements -- new exec flavor

Marc Wachowitz (mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de)
7 Feb 1995 08:29:04 GMT

Guido wrote:
> This is indeed a problem, and this is why I proposed to let __enter__
> return an object whose __leave__ method is to be called. The object
> returned can then have a destructor (__del__ method) which aborts thr
> transaction if it has neither been committed nor aborted.

I don't think that's a good idea if you don't want to tie the language and
the current implementation too much, since it practically requires a quick
disposal of objects, which works with reference counting (but even then it
needs some care by the programmer, which I wouldn't like in this area) but
not with most other types of garbage collector.

* wonder everyday * nothing in particular * all is special *
Marc Wachowitz <mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de>