Re: Extensible compound statements -- new exec flavor

Jim Fulton (jfulton@disqvarsa.er.usgs.GOV)
Wed, 1 Feb 1995 18:26:10 GMT

In article <1995Jan31.011701.27899@sequent.com> jaap@sequent.com (Jaap
Vermeulen) writes:

> In <JFULTON.95Jan21162010@dsjfqvarsa.er.usgs.GOV> jfulton@dsjfqvarsa.er.usgs.GOV (Jim Fulton ) writes:
>> transaction:
>> # some code
>> # that makes up the transaction
>> transaction:
>> # This is a sub transaction
>> # Perhaps more code for the first transaction

> What's wrong with:

> TransactionAbort = 'TransactionAbort'

> try:
> # some code
> # that makes up the transaction
> try:
> # This is a sub transaction
> except TransactionAbort:
> # rollback sub transaction
> raise TransactionAbort # Roll back transaction as well
> else:
> # commit sub transaction
> # Perhaps more code for the first transaction
> except TransactionAbort:
> # rollback transaction
> else:
> # commit sub transaction

This does address other types of exceptions. You did not include the
code to begin the transaction. Your code exposes details of the
transaction protocol that I would rather hide and it provides many
opportunities for user error.

> Or did you envision the rollback and commit to be more "transparent"
> operations?

Yes.

--
-- Jim Fulton      jfulton@mailqvarsa.er.usgs.gov    (703) 648-5622
                   U.S. Geological Survey, Reston VA  22092