Dancer (was Re: HTML Text Widget)

Steven Miale (smiale@cs.indiana.edu)
Thu, 19 Jan 1995 21:35:33 -0500

In article <9501191131.AA06805=guido@zeus.cwi.nl>,
<Guido.van.Rossum@cwi.nl> wrote:
>Note that the real problem is not the Text widget but the speed of
>parsing HTML -- Python wasn't really written to write text scanners
>in. Steve solved this by writing a scanner in C, but it still isn't
>reall adequate compared to Mosaic or NetScape.

Any code contributions will be appreciated :-)

Seriously, I'd like to make the time it takes from retrieving a document
to displaying it to be as short as possible, and it shouldn't be too
difficult if a good HTML parser is available. The one I wrote really
isn't very good. Anyone who would like to write a new version is welcome
to do so.

Actally - and I don't think this posting made it - I'm looking for
people who would be interested in working on Dancer. We have a shot
at producing something *really* nice to show off the power of Python,
and I can't do all the work myself :-(

Steve

--
Steven Miale  <http://www.cs.indiana.edu/hyplan/smiale.html>