Re: Tk without Tcl

Steven D. Majewski (sdm7g@elvis.med.Virginia.EDU)
Tue, 10 Jan 1995 19:34:07 GMT

In article <3epm5s$ej4@manuel.anu.edu.au>,
<graham.matthews@maths.anu.edu.au> wrote:

>Tk can be used from Python, and used quite successfully and moderately
>cleanly (only one kludgy bit to do with the textvariable option). I am not
>sure if the Python Tk interface simply translates things into tcl and
>then uses its interface to Tk, or does it the the direct way, but from a
>programming perspective the interface is simple and clean.

The current Python interface to Tk ( tkinter ) does include Tcl.
There is work in progress on a version that will eventually remove
Tcl from Tk that will have a more Python-ish Object Oriented style
interface. I *hope* there will be an interim release of the new API
wrapped around the old Tk that just does a better job of hiding
the existance of Tcl underneath.

---| Steven D. Majewski (804-982-0831) <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU> |---
---| Computer Systems Engineer University of Virginia |---
---| Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics |---
---| Box 449 Health Science Center Charlottesville,VA 22908 |---