Re: TCL/TK & OpenGL a match made in Heaven or Hell ?

Steven D. Majewski (sdm7g@elvis.med.Virginia.EDU)
Mon, 9 Jan 1995 22:29:11 GMT

>aquigley@tcd.ie (Aaron J. Quigley) writes:
>
>> Has anyone used OpenGL with TCL/TK to produce a good interactive
>> program? TCL/TK is simple to use for GUI and the like and OpenGl is
>> great for rendering.
>>
>> If anyone has any ideas or advice on a good way to integrate OpenGL into
>> a nice GUI please e-mail me. Thanks in advance...

Python - an interactive interpreted object-oriented language
<http://www.cwi.nl/~guido/Python.html>
has a GL module for SGI that I have successfully build on IBM/RS6000
AIX GL. ( I don't have an OpenGL port available to test whether it will
build. There were a couple of minor mods needed to compile on AIX -
mostly inserting stubs for some obsolete functions that weren't
included in AIX GL. )

There is also a tk module for Python (tkinter).
Work is in progress on a new, improved tk module that eliminates
tcl-isms and is more Python-ish and object-oriented.
( Working notes at URL:<http://server.cs.virginia.edu/~tnb2d/IT/IT.html> )

---| Steven D. Majewski (804-982-0831) <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU> |---
---| Computer Systems Engineer University of Virginia |---
---| Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics |---
---| Box 449 Health Science Center Charlottesville,VA 22908 |---