Re: tkinter examples and dialog boxes

Guido.van.Rossum@cwi.nl
Fri, 06 Jan 1995 19:47:27 +0100

> Being a new user to the tkinter extensions I am working through
> the distributed examples.
> In the "matt" sub-directory there is an example of
> dialog boxes - "dialog-box.py".
> Therein lies a comment :
>
> # there is no Tkinter interface to the dialog box.
> # Making one would mean putting
> # a few wrapper functions in the Tkinter.py file.
> # even better is to put in a SUIT-like selection of commonly-used dialogs.
>
> I am familiar with the SUIT dialogs and would like the tkinter equivalents,
> has anyone already done this ?

There's a module Dialog.py in the Lib/tkinter directory which provides
a generic interface to the button-only dialog script that Tcl/Tk has.
Ken Howard recently sent me a few modules that implement common
dialogs such as file selection. I hope that I can make these part of
the next release (in some form). If anyone wants to try these out I
can forward them Ken's email.

BTW Dave: I had to take you off the Python mailing list because of a
mail loop. If that's fixed, do you want to be back on, or do you read
it as a newsgroup now?

--Guido van Rossum, CWI, Amsterdam <mailto:Guido.van.Rossum@cwi.nl>
<http://www.cwi.nl/cwi/people/Guido.van.Rossum.html>