Re: A Workshop on Python at NIST

Michael McLay (mclay@eeel.nist.gov)
Fri, 30 Sep 94 08:53:07 EDT

Bill Janssen writes:
> Excerpts from ext.python: 29-Sep-94 A Workshop on Python at NIST Michael
> McLay@eeel.nist. (3593)
>
> > On the afternoon of November 2nd there will be a short steering
> > committee meeting to discuss whether setting up a Python consortium
> > would help or hinder the advancement of the language. (Anyone can be
> > on the steering committee.)
>
> Pardon my skepticism, but I've never seen a committee like this do
> something useful...

I'd rather spend the entire meeting discussing the language, but my
other purpose in calling the workshop is to assess the business case
for Python. A discussion on forming a Python consortium was added to
the program because some organizations impose restrictions on software
use. These restrictions are inhibiting the spread of Python. Forming
a consortium, or possibly an association may be the least intrusive
mechanism for improving Python's credibility. However, the consensus
may be that any conscience effort to improve Python's legitimacy would
be a waste of time. It may be a very short committee meeting if that
is the sentiment of the group.

Don't read too much into the term steering committee. The term was
suggested by an administrator at NIST. I can call a steering
committee meeting without making an announcement in the Federal
Register. A posting in the Federal Register would probably take a
month to arrange and would require talking to a lawyer.

Michael J. McLay
Bld 220 Rm A357 (office), Bld 220 Rm B344 (mail)
Gaithersburg, Maryland 20899, (301)975-4099