Re: reply-to not set...

Sjoerd Mullender (Sjoerd.Mullender@cwi.nl)
Mon, 18 Jul 1994 10:00:48 +0200

On Sun, Jul 17 1994 "Ron Forrester" wrote:

> Does it bother anyone else that mail from the python list does not set
> the Reply-To: field in the mail header? It messes me up because my
> mailer looks for that first, and not finding that uses the From: field.
>
> What this means is that if I want to reply to the list, I have to jump
> through a bit of a hoop (nothing big, but more difficult than just
> saying 'reply')...

I think setting the Reply-To header is something the author of the
message should do.

There are usually two possibilities when replying to a message in the
mailing list. You can either send the reply just to the author, or
you can send the reply to the whole list. When there is a Reply-To
header, the author of the article has made this choice for you.
Therefore I don't think it is a good idea to put this header in
automatically.

I just noticed that the Reply-To header got stripped in the news to
mail gateway, but I have fixed that.

Sjoerd Mullender, CWI, P.O. Box 94079, 1090 GB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
E-Mail: Sjoerd.Mullender@cwi.nl; Phone: +31 20 592 4127; Fax: +31 20 592 4199