Re: Why you should not use Tcl

Guido van Rossum (Guido.van.Rossum@cwi.nl)
Sun, 25 Sep 1994 09:06:06 GMT

rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Richard Stallman) writes:

>Some people plan to use Tcl because they want to use Tk. Thankfully,
>it is possible to use Tk without Tcl. A Scheme interpreter called STk
>is already available. Please, if you want to use Tk, use it with STk,
>not with Tcl. One place to get STk is from
>ftp.cs.indiana.edu:pub/scheme-repository/imp/STk-2.1.tar.Z

In a followup, Barry Merriman suggests to try Python. I can't agree
more :-). Moreover, Python also has a cool object-oriented interface
to Tk! Python's home ftp site has this URL:
ftp://ftp.cwi.nl/pub/python (read the INDEX file); the Tk interface is
called tkinter.tar.gz. There's also considerable on-line info about
Python on WWW; the URL is http://www.cwi.nl/~guido/Python.html.
Finally, there's a newsgroup (comp.lang.python).

--Guido van Rossum, CWI, Amsterdam <mailto:Guido.van.Rossum@cwi.nl>
<http://www.cwi.nl/cwi/people/Guido.van.Rossum.html>