Re: static type checking / interface definitions for Python?

Marc Wachowitz (mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de)
23 Sep 1994 14:35:20 GMT

Guido.van.Rossum@cwi.nl wrote:
> Also, Python is a lot
> more dynamic, if you consider things like exec, eval() and conditional
> import. However, the ABC algorithm makes a good start, and what I
> particularly like about it that it doesn't ever require you to declare
> the type of a variable -- it's all derived from what's there already.

There has been some work on type inference for Lisp, which is roughly
similar concerning dynamic data types. I don't have any reference; it
may be worth asking on comp.lang.lisp and comp.lang.scheme when some-
one is going to do something about that topic. The related work about
Smalltalk may also be helpful.

* wonder everyday * nothing in particular * all is special *
Marc Wachowitz <mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de>