Re: patch for socketmodule

Adrian Phillips (tandem@freeze.oslo.dnmi.no)
08 Sep 1994 06:23:19 GMT

In article <BRENNAN.94Sep7171828@hysteria.hal.com> brennan@hal.com (Dave Brennan) writes:

> tnb2d> As it turns out, the real answer is the guy here who
> tnb2d> needed and wrote this method did not know an fcntl module
> tnb2d> existed! And besides, it never hurts to put the
> tnb2d> functionality related to an object as close to the object
> tnb2d> (i.e. *in* it) as possible.
>
> It definitely doens't hurt in this case, because the socketmodule
> has been ported to WinNT, where fcntl doesn't work. The NT
> equivalent of the new feature can be added to the socketmodule so
> that code which uses it works anywhere sockets work.
>
> --
> Dave Brennan HaL Computer Systems, Austin, TX, USA
> brennan@hal.com http://www.hal.com/~brennan

I have a small question. If it was just Unix I would suggest not
bothering, you have fcntl. Are you going to change every module that
has non-blocking capability to have this ? Seems a bit silly when the
OS libs give it you. An alternative would be to have all file related
objects have a non-block attribute.

Now as far as NT goes, does it have a similar function to fcntl that
works on different file types, or is this just socket specific ?

If its socket specific, the ignore what I just wrote :-)

Adrian

= Adrian Phillips at | BUT any thoughts in this are purely =
= The Norwegian Meteorological | my own and have nothing to do with =
= Institute | this establishment, thankfully. =
= Net: adrian.phillips@dnmi.no | Phone: 47 22 96 32 09 Fax: 47 22 96 30 50