Re: Python equivalent of Perl's assignment to $0

N.G.Smith (ngs@ukc.ac.uk)
Wed, 13 Jul 94 12:25:21 BST

In article <1994Jul11.213135.12154@sequent.com> jaap@sequent.com (Jaap Vermeulen) writes:
>In <9407071558.AA19681=guido@voorn.cwi.nl> Guido.van.Rossum@cwi.nl writes:
>
>>Currently, no. I suppose an interface could be added to sys to set
>>the real argv[0]. But is it worth it?
>
>No. In particular since not all UNIX variants display the changed
>argv[0] in their ps command (SYSV comes to mind).
>
> -Jaap-

Yes.

Python is a multi-platform language. Not all the platforms that python
runs on support the same set of facilities. To my mind, the fact that
SYSV doesn't support this convenient operation is no reason to deny it
to all platforms.

Guido has hinted that I implement this and provide a patch for the
people who would take advantage of it. I'll take a look.

Neil.