Re: Suggestion for new directory layout for Python lib-dir.

Guido Sohne (wgsohne@tucson.Princeton.EDU)
Thu, 18 Aug 1994 08:48:50 GMT

In article <199408170700.AA27057@eden-valley>,
anthony baxter <anthony.baxter@aaii.oz.au> wrote:
>Hiya,
>
>For us with many different architectures to support, it would be nice if
>the default /usr/local/lib/python was a bit more supportive. :)
>
>How about something like this?
>
>lib/python contains non-system-dependant .py files
> /machine-os/ contains system-dependant .py files
> machine-os/lib contains lib____.a, config.c, frozenmain.c
>
>where machine-os is 'sun4-sunos4', 'mips-ultrix', 'hppa-hpux', 'alpha-osf1'
>or whatever (similar to the existing 'sgi' or 'sun4' directories. The
>default python-search path could look for this, too. Suggestions? Comments?
>
>Anthony

I think the general idea is good but to hardcode the architecture names
would be bad. All that is really necessary here (I think - still new to
python :-) is to put a ${ARCH} in the PYTHONPATH ie .../lib/python/${ARCH}
and you are set. You just have to set ARCH='/usr/local/bin/arch' where arch
is a local program/script on the machine that returns eg sun4 or sgi
depending on the architecture in use. More flexible IMHO

--
Guido Sohne

Guido Sohne                           EMail : wgsohne@phoenix.princeton.edu
Happy Linux user and soon to be lover/hater/basher of the OS/2 Warp II beta
Ethernet and TCP/IP for all ! Don't settle for SLIPing into the Internet !!