Re: Problems creating extended version of Python

Guido Sohne (wgsohne@stone.princeton.edu)
Mon, 15 Aug 1994 17:59:24 GMT

In article <199408151701.TAA09963@inf.enst.fr>,
Samuel Tardieu <tardieu@inf.enst.fr> wrote:
>Guido Sohne wrote:
>
> I have been trying to create the tkinter version of Python without any
> success. I have succesfully built a standard and stdwin version of Python
> with few problems. These are the symptoms I'm coming across.
>
> After gcc -tradional compiles the source for tkinter version of python,
> I get a series of errors saying that libx.a (x is Python, Parser etc) is
> out of date and re-run ranlib.
>
> Then I get a series of errors referring to undefined symbols eg __main
> _newparser,_delparser among others.
>
>Eh boy, I've got an idea: run ranlib :)
>Seriously, do a: ranlib /u/wgsohne/lib/pythoon/lib/libParser.a
>(or whatever library ld complains on)
>Then type 'make' again.

Nope. ranlib run on each of the libraries being complained about has no
effect whatsoever on the problem. Guido said I should look into the way the
libraries are being ordered and it changed the symbols that were being
complained about. I think it might help me to know exactly how extensions
are integrated with the main package, link wise not source wise :-)

I have only had the package for a few hours but I think the vanilla
intepreter is encapsulated in libModule.a libObject.a libParser.a
libPython.a in addition to a few other libraries like readline etc. To add
an extension, does one simply link in the extension.o file and the lib.a
generating in the compilation of the extension ? If so I could hack the
main python generation to just include those libraries in its link step.

On a general note, I just can't understand how ld could not resolve all the
symbols if all the libraries needed are present. Thats its whole purpose. I
still think I'm missing something basic. Or not. If the install script
seems to work for everyone else but not for me it must be my fault :-)

--
Guido