Re: PERL as a first programming language?

Logan Shaw (logan@taligent.com)
Tue, 26 Jul 1994 21:20:51 GMT

In article <RSANDERS.94Jul24231449@hrothgar.mindspring.com>, rsanders@mindspring.com (Robert Sanders) writes:
> > * It uses unlimited precision, so there is no need to discuss the
> > problems of word size or machine representation (what other
> > language will give the correct answer to "write 2**10001" in
> > about 1 second?)
>
> Off the top of my head, Python (one implementation freely available),
> Lisp (CLISP, GCL, FEEL, XLISP freely available), and Scheme (scm,
> vscm, elk, STk and more freely available). It also takes much less
> than one second real time for most of those to give the answer on my
> 486dx33:

$ time perl -e 'print "1", "0" x 10001, "\n";'
Real 0.5
User 0.0
System 0.1

Oh - you wanted it in base 10?

Adios,
Logan

--
The genius of France can be seen at a glance
And it's not in their fabled fashion scene