Re: e-mail database

John Gardiner Myers (jgm+@CMU.EDU)
Sat, 25 Jun 1994 10:27:27 -0400 (EDT)

"Steven D. Majewski" <sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu> writes:
> However: the existing IMAP servers I'm aware of don't do any
> pre-indexing of the mailboxes ( although, once freed of a
> particular mailbox format by the protocol, that would be a
> logical direction: mail stores in indexed files. )

The Cyrus IMAP server, which is freed of a particular mailbox format,
does pre-parse messages and put a more searchable copy of the more
commonly searched headers into an index file. It doesn't do any sort
of keyword indexing.

> imap servers and protocol specifications are available
> from ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/

The ALPHA-test version of the Cyrus IMAP server is available via
anonymous FTP from ftp.andrew.cmu.edu:pub/cyrus-mail/

> ( almost - I intend to use either message-id's or IMAP unique-id's
> rather than sequence number, which may not be the same between
> sessions. )

IMAP URLs should most certainly use UID's, not message-id's or
sequence numbers.

--
_.John G. Myers		Internet: jgm+@CMU.EDU
			LoseNet:  ...!seismo!ihnp4!wiscvm.wisc.edu!give!up