Re: The collected works of Craig Chambers

Marc Wachowitz (mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de)
6 Jun 1994 17:39:02 GMT

Steve wrote:
> ( And I know I've mentioned before that I would like to try
> to figure out how to add Self-like method specializations and
> optimizations to Python. )

I guess you mean "Cecil", not "Self"? As far as I know, Self doesn't
have multi-methods, but Smalltalk-like dispatching (though it's also
prototype-based, instead of having classes).

Inheriting some abstract class to signal that one likes to behave as
a Number/Sequence/Dictionary/etc. is in principle a good idea (IMO),
though I wonder whether such a departure from the current "taste" of
Python would be generally (I mean: by Guido ;-) accepted.

* wonder everyday * nothing in particular * all is special *
Marc Wachowitz <mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de>